Sunday, October 23, 2011

A new book on my radar: I was blind but now I see

Every once in a while a book comes into my peripheral vision that speaks to me. The most recent example is James Altucher, who I discovered via elephantjournal.com (an interesting website in itself). He wrote a book called I Was Blind but Now I See which speaks to many things I often think about. Books like Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent on how our thinking is shaped by the media, or Jiddu Krishnamurti's entire life work on the importance of understanding the effects of education, media, parents, culture and religion in shaping who we are, how we think and act, what we strive to do and be, how we define success, happiness and failure - strike a similar chord.

Although I have not gone far enough into my own personal inquiry on all of these elements I am increasingly aware of the fact that I need to be increasingly aware of this. That most of who and how I am is not conscious or even of my own doing.

James Altucher seems to be addressing these issues in his book. I have ordered it today. When I take the leap and read it I will report back.

If you take a look at the book or have read it, let me know what you think/thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment