Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Judging a book by its' cover

Today I walked to work (in Paris you can do that) and on the way I saw a women walk out of a social shelter dressed quite strangely. As I got closer I could see that she was wearing a black garbage bag on her head, had another garbage bag over her clothes and her shoes were taped on with wide bands of packing tape.

I felt a wave of sadness which then turned to pity. "What a poor woman. How awful that must be..."

As I overtook her, I first thought I heard her talking to herself. Normal, I thought, she must be a bit "off". And once I got past her, or should say once I hurried past her (you never know right?), I realized she was singing. She was singing an incredibly beautiful song with an incredibly beautiful voice!

And she sounded incredibly happy.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to send blessings to a person like this as you pass them. Sometimes people want to be helped, sometimes they choose to be where they are. I found wishing blessings to people that seemed like they needed a hand was a great way for me to feel like I was doing something and potentially create a win-win. I thought, we have nothing to lose, eh?

    ReplyDelete