Monday, January 19, 2009

Now reading Deepak Chopra The Path to Love

This book was given to me as a present. The best part was that it was a book that was already read by the person who gave it to me and included the notes. Always fun to share someone else's insights and thoughts and a generous present - sharing the book and the insights!

As for the book, I must admit that I always liked Deepak Chopra (he is a likeable guy) but was never too impressed. I always thought of him as a purveyor of spirituality for the masses and held my prejudice of shallowness against him. Then I read an interview of him in What is Enlightenment magazine (now called Enlighten Next). I realized that this was his chosen mission and I realized that he was pretty darn good at it. That allowed me to approach this book with more of an open mind.
The book starts well, especially since any author who quotes Nisargadatta Maharaj is an author worth reading, and Deepak quotes him early on:

"Life is
love and love is life. What keeps the body together but love? What is desire but love of the self?... And what is knowledge but love of truth?
The means and form may be wrong, but the motive behind is always love--love of the me and mine. The me and the mine may be small, or may explode and embrace the Universe, but love remains."

This is a pretty incredible insight! We are all egotistical, i.e. protective of the "me and mine". HOWEVER, for the more spiritually evolved this "me and mine" encompasses more than the narrowest sense (e.g. materialistic collectibles) and can evolve to include family, friends, colleagues, the other and, ultimately, even the entire Universe.

Not easy to do, but a nifty trick if you can pull it off...

If you haven't read Nisargadatta's I Am That, it is highly recommended and I will undoubtedly comment on different passages of that book which is a treasure trove of spiritual nuggets and insights. Put it on your reading list and then on your bedside table. And then read it (osmosis can only take you so far : ))

No comments:

Post a Comment